Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Charming Sonata

Charming Sonata by Nicole Vieira



A Quilt of firsts!  I started this quilt about 5 years ago. I found these great charm squares by moda and decided I wanted to use 2 of them in a quilt and design my own quilt. I kind of started from the center and moved out. The fabric I used for the panel and the border was a favorite of mine. So to make the center pop... I decided to stabilize and thread paint. Hey why not I always wanted to try. So without taking any classes and the thrill of a having new Bernina 440QE I went to town and started to paint. 


Trapunto! I used this technique in this center panel under the red flowers. Loved it! And then the stippling in the cream areas was what made it pop! 


Then I went crazy with the quilting. I did a shell design in the charm squares and then did a rope design that was alot of fun in the middle borders. Then in the final border and now I realize that my husband didn't get a great shot of that (thank you baby) I did a large echoed feather design. Keep in mind from a distance this looks good... but it's not that great there are no perfect lines.


The last thing to do in a quilt of firsts, is to try a binding I have never done before. I wanted to echo the triangles in the middle of the quilt with triangles on the end of it. Prairie Points! Well that was a learning experience lol. I possibly screamed loud enough that my neighbors could hear me... this was not fun.. but I now feel like I might actually do these again, now that I know how to do them correctly that is. I should really take more classes or watch a you tube video first or something. In all and all this quilt was an adventure. I spent time on this quilt, off and on for years and I am so happy the way it turned out. And this is my quilt... I use it in the evenings to wrap me up and cuddle with. My husband is jealous. heh heh maybe not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment